[20v] Brake Warning Light

Brian Pleet bpleet at telusplanet.net
Sat Oct 25 19:07:44 PDT 2008

My wife's 90 90q20v is back on the road after a cylinder head rebuild
and timing belt change.

One last issue which raises her concern is the brake indicator light.

Symptoms:
1) warning indicator stays on for 25-30 sec on starting, 10 secs if
running engine at 2000 RPM
2) warning indicator lights momentarily on full L and R turn, after
pumping the brakes 10-15 times at idle, not at 2000RPM
3) whining sound when cold, not related to turning steering wheel.
Loosening the pump belt helped, but its still noticeable.
4) starting engine with foot on brake pedal does not change the pedal feel
5) when the return line on the hydraulic brake booster is removed,
more than the OK few drops of fluid run out, but it does stop after 5 minutes
6) brake pressure accumulator is original (unless the dealer replaced
it in the first 10 years)
7) pumping the brake after turning off the engine does not seem to
benefit from any boost, just like when the engine is started
8) hydraulic fluid was Pentosin, but the dealer suggested 10 years
ago that adding Lucas would stop the whining while turning
9) front brake rotors and pads were just replaced and brake fluid was flushed
10)Hydraulic lines all show some seepage at joints (likely just 18
years of use) but no obvious leaks and does not require reservoir fill-ups

I've just bought a new(er) accumulator and 2 liters of Pentosin for a
flush. Before I install, are there other suspect parts (pump,
booster, etc) that I should replace at the same time?

Brian
90 90Q 20v
95.5 S6
02 TT Roadster