[A4] small problem at constant speed

Joel Landsverk jlandsverk at jjkeller.com
Fri Feb 6 11:30:56 EST 2004

Have your alignment checked again.  I have an older Q and they are very
finicky when it comes to proper alignment. A problem I've not had a with
the A4. You really need to find a very competent shop to have this done

If either of you are using aftermarket wheels or non-stock sized tires,
this will affect the handling.  The "drifting" you mention sounds to me
like what is commonly refered to as "tramlining."  It's very common on
cars that have wider than stock tires or wheels with greater offset than
stock.  My '91 90q 20v displays this trait because my wheels/tires are
wider and the offset is greater than the stock setup.

Good Luck.

`91 90q 20v
`99 A4 1.8tq Avant

>>> "JP" <jp at tulane.edu> 2/6/2004 8:38:10 AM >>>
Hi.  I had the same problem on my 99 right at 70mph.  The easiest
to do would be to rotate the tires.  If the car shakes differently,
subtly even, then the problem is with the tires (out of balance, out
round, worn unevenly, flat spots, etc.).  If you're going to take it
a shop, just ask them to check the balance of the wheels and visually
inspect them for defects.

The drifting issue still afflicts my car.  I think that it's just the
way the car is.  It's very sensitive to changes in the road surface as
far as holding a line goes.  Could be worn suspension components or
the steering rack, but my mechanic doesn't think so.  I'll have to
a look for myself to be satisfied.

Good luck,