[A4] new owner of 2000 A4 2.8Q...help!

Stephen Kormilo stephen at kormilo.ca
Tue Jan 13 23:42:51 EST 2004

At 06:51 AM 13/01/04 -0800, Brian J White wrote:

>At 06:47 2004-01-13, F550V12 at aol.com wrote:
>>After thoroughly and repeatedly reading my owner's manual, I'm still
>>unclear on one subject.  After I start my car, when I put it in gear, my
>>trip computer reads "Service!" then goes away (to display the
>>temperature, radio station, etc.).  However, at the top in yellow, the
>>trip computer reads "OK."  Does this mean I need service or not?  And if
>>so, what kind of service do I need?
>Service usually means that you need an oil change...or maybe one of the
>scheduled service intervals.  These intervals are listed in the
>Maintenence booklet that came with your manual.
>Regarding the ok, that's the check system that says "hey..you have
>coolant...hey your bulbs work...hey....your oil is not low...etc..etc..etc.."
>It finds no faults there.    The car still probably needs an oil change

Maybe not.  Whoever performed the previous service may have forgotten to
reset the service indicator, perhaps because the service was performed
before the indicator was active.

>>I'm quite opposed to taking my car to a dealer unless absolutely
>>necessary, as their service is generally expensive and requires a long
>>wait.  I also didn't purchase my car from my local dealer, so I'm sure I
>>won't be provided a loaner car.  Anyone have good advice for me?  Thank you.
>You will not be provided with a loaner car.  That's part of life.
>An Independant Audi service shop can do the work just fine and they'll
>also have the computer (or VAG-COM) to reset the service indicator.

The service indicator can be reset without using VAG-COM, or the Dealer
equivalent.  The procedure is described in the Owner's Manual.

Stephen Kormilo
Winnipeg, MB

Silver 2002 Audi A4 3.0QM
Now departed:   Silver '98.5 Audi A4 2.8QM
                            Black '85 Mazda Rx7 GSL-SE

email: skormilo at rrc.mb.ca
           stephen at kormilo.ca