Subject: [A4] radio question

Yee, Phil Phil.Yee at
Fri Jul 29 18:39:41 EDT 2005

if you route wire from rear to front to the front, i'd advise to not go
under the carpet.  From experience, i suggest go under the trunk mat (easy)
past the rear seat joint, pull the rear seat cushion, go under the trim
along the bottom of the driver's side doors, up to behind the knee bolster.
two fat stereo cables will fit under all of this.

one thing about the jack in the front, very clean . . . but here is one more
thing to consider: alternatively i have my headphone jack/wire laying
between the armrest and driver's seat, and with the 12" or so of loose wire,
i find that it is nice to sometimes hold the ipod closer to the steering
wheel to adjust it.  picking an album on the ipod forces you take a little
time to "read" the display . . . not so easy if your harness is 4" long, so
don't shorten the connection just to have it look great when parked.  good

-----Original Message-----
From: Rocky Mullin [mailto:caliban at]
Sent: Friday, July 29, 2005 3:20 PM
To: Yee, Phil; 'a4 at'
Subject: Re: Subject: [A4] radio question

	thanks for the info!  the link for an iterm that was forwarded
is just what i'm looking for.  i've got plenty of audioquest wire at
work to handle the wiring project, though i am pretty daunted at the
idea of pulling up carpet and stuff.  i'd like to also get a 1/8" TRS
jack to drill and install into the front of the car somewhere.  much
cleaner than hanging wires.  putting this in the center console, between
the seats, would be perfect.

At 6:09 PM -0400 7/29/05, Yee, Phil wrote:
>A few years back, I bought a harness online for RCA inputs.  It was a
>blackbox that plugged into my CD changer cable (I had no CD changer, but
>oem harness was there, 2001).  From there, I have a signal line routed
>carpet up to my dash area to connect to the headphone jack of my ipod.  I
>hit the "CD Changer" button on my head unit to activate that input line.
>When in use, it displays "CD1 TRK99" (or something like that) and never
>changes.  I've been using it ever since without a problem.  There are many
>newer aftermarket harness/input/adaptors that give you more display info
>more control thru your head unit now.  If you are interested, I can look up
>where I ordered my unit from (~$75).
>Message: 8
>Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 12:32:15 -0700
>From: Rocky Mullin <caliban at>
>Subject: [A4] radio question
>To: a4 at
>	i don't have a CD changer option in my A4, but i do have the
>premium sound option.
>	is there any way to add a device to the car audio system?
>say, an XM potable radio, or iPod.  ideally via RCA plugs, but i can
>make adapters.
>   Rocky Mullin

  Rocky Mullin