[ba] Interesting find for emergency repairs ...

Buchholz, Steven Steven.Buchholz at kla-tencor.com
Mon Oct 1 13:56:11 EDT 2001

I had a leak in the molded 'T' built into the upper radiator hose for the V8
over the weekend.  While Anderson-Behel was open on Saturday, they didn't
have any in stock, so I had to try to track down alternatives.  I'm not
*that* worried about the integrity of the rest of the hose, so I figured I'd
see if I could fashion a fix.  I was ready to try to build a copper 'T' from
parts from OSH ... but I found something at a local Kragen that seems to do
a pretty good job and so I thought I'd pass it along.  The stuff is a roll
of black rubber tape labeled from Edelbrock, and is claimed to be useful for
emergency belt repairs as well as emergency hose repairs.  The stuff was
slightly expensive ... something like $9 for a reasonable sized roll of the
stuff.  It is very stretchy material, and what you are supposed to do is to
stretch the material as you apply it.  The label says that once applied it
takes about an hour to cure, and when it does it forms a solid piece of
rubber that can handle water, and pressure up to 100PSI.  I wrapped a few
feet of the stuff around the area that was leaking and left it sitting for a
while.  The stuff sealed the leak well.  I still plan to replace the hose,
but this stuff will keep the car on the road for the couple days it will
take for the replacement to arrive ... 

I left the remained of the roll in the trunk ... good stuff in my book!

Steve Buchholz
San Jose, CA (USA)

More information about the Ba-group mailing list