[ba] inline 5 question

Ti Kan ti at amb.org
Sun Apr 28 22:40:05 EDT 2002

> Im looking into some projects ide like to take on and have a question. With
> inverted inline engine's, i.e. the engine is sitting sideways accross the
> front of the car rather then down one side of it, i was wondering how would
> i convert an audi's inline 5 to sit sideways instead of in a line. The car
> ide like to squeez the engine into requires the engine to be sideways and
> not in a line so im trying to ask whoever that has done engine work on
> thing's of this nature for any information on even if its possible or not.
> Ty much!

It's not so much a function of the engine itself, but the design of
the transaxle that makes an application longitudinal or transverse.
There is no easy way to turn a longitudinal engined Audi into a
transverse orientation.  The Audi gearbox is not designed for a
transverse engine.  Anything is possible, of course, given enough
knowhow, components from other car models, custom fabrication, time,
effort and money.  But the fact that you're asking a question of this
nature leads me to believe that a project like this is going to be
way over your head.

Not to mention the basic question, why would you want to do something
like that?

01 S4 2.7 biturbo quattro
84 5000S 2.1 turbo
80 4000 2.0
   ///   AMB Laboratories, Sunnyvale, CA. USA
  ///    ti at amb.org
 //////  http://www.amb.org/ti/