[ba] Re: [V6-12v] part number for 97 A4 V6 fan?

Ti Kan ti at amb.org
Sat Oct 16 01:16:16 EDT 2004

Lino M. Valadas writes:
> From: "robert weinberg" <centaurus3200 at yahoo.com>
> > anybody know the part number for the plastic cooling
> > fan? my wife's 97 A4 broke a blade. i'm assuming this
> > is not good for the waterpump if the fan is no longer
> > balanced.
> >
> > does the fan connect to the water pump, like a bimmer
> > 325i?
> No.  It should be an electric fan.
> Lino

On the V6 cars, there is an engine-driven fan (via the serpentine belt)
as well as an electric fan.  The normal cooling is done by the belt-driven
fan.  Only when additional cooling is required (such as when A/C is on
or when there is an overtemp condition) would the electric fan come on.

On the biturbo S4, there are *two* auxiliary electric fans.

To answer Robby, the fan does not connect to the water pump.  The water
pump on these cars is driven by the timing belt.

Ti Kan
Vorsprung durch Technik