[ba] Fw: ACCC Legislative Alert - CA Bill to Require ANNUAL Emissions Tests
k1drbar at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 6 09:48:43 PDT 2009
It looks like that person in So Cal is pushing to have annual smog inspections of older cars again. Last time the bill was defeated ... I hope it can be again. For me, all of my vehicles (other than the K1200) fit this requirement, and it's expensive enough to have smog tests done every other year!
----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Association of California Car Clubs <fevenson at sbcglobal.net>
To: k1drbar at yahoo.com
Sent: Monday, April 6, 2009 9:31:27 AM
Subject: ACCC Legislative Alert - CA Bill to Require ANNUAL Emissions Tests
ACCC Legislative Alert
CA Bill to Require ANNUAL Emmisions Tests for Vehicles 15 years Old or Older
Immediate Action Needed!
Dear ACCC Supporters,
California Bill to Require ANNUAL Emissions Tests for Vehicles 15-Years Old and Older; Hearing Scheduled for April 13
Legislation (A.B. 859) reintroduced in the California Assembly by Assemblyman Dave Jones (916/319-2009) to require annual Smog check inspections for vehicles 15-years old and older will be considered by the Assembly Transportation Committee on April 13, 2009. The bill would also require that funds generated through the additional inspection fees be deposited into an account which can be used to scrap older cars. You may recall that in 2004 a new law was enacted in California to require the lifetime testing of all 1976 and newer model-year vehicles. Pre-1976 motor vehicles would remain exempt under A.B. 859.
We Urge You to Call Members of the Assembly Transportation Committee (List Below) Immediately to Oppose A.B. 859
* A.B. 859 ignores the minimal impact vintage cars have on air quality.
* A.B. 859 could entice vintage car owners into allowing these vehicles to be scrapped.
* A.B. 859 ignores the fact that vehicles 15-years old and older still constitute a small portion of the overall vehicle population and are a poor source from which to look for emissions reduction.
* A.B. 859 ignores the fact that classic vehicles are overwhelmingly well-maintained and infrequently driven.
* A.B. 859 would increase costs by creating an annual inspection fee for owners of these vehicles.
* A.B. 859 represents another attempt by California legislators and regulators to scapegoat older cars. Please contact members of the California Assembly Transportation Committee immediately by phone to request their opposition to A.B. 859.
Assembly Transportation Committee
Assemblymember Mike Eng – Chair
Assemblymember Kevin Jeffries
Assemblymember Bob Blumenfield
Assemblymember Joan Buchanan
Assemblymember Connie Conway
Assemblymember Warren Furutani
Assemblymember Cathleen Galgiani
Assemblymember Martin Garrick
Assemblymember Bonnie Lowenthal
Assemblymember Jeff Miller
Assemblymember Roger Niello
Assemblymember John Perez
Assemblymember Jose Solorio
Assemblymember Tom Torlakson
Thank you for your support!
President - Association of California Car Clubs
If you do not want to receive any more newsletters, visit this link.
To update your preferences and to unsubscribe visit this link.
To forward this message to someone visit this link.
Association of California Car Clubs
More information about the ba-group