[BiturboS4] re: transmissions

David Lau toomanycars at mac.com
Tue Dec 31 16:55:51 EST 2002

On Tuesday, December 31, 2002, at 03:00 PM, Ian McCloghrie wrote:
> Heel-toe is made very difficult in the S4 by the drive-by-wire
> throttle.  The throttle doesn't respond the same way that it does in a
> car with a mechanical linkage, especially when the computer thinks
> you're applying both brake and throttle at the same time.
I found the H-T works pretty well at the track during hard braking; much
harder on the street with lighter braking. But  hold the throttle more
than 2 seconds during braking, and poof... throttle is killed. Thank you

> It sounds to me like you're complaining more about the shift LINKAGE
> than about the transmission itself.  On a traditional front
> engine/rear drive car, the transmission is located such that the
> shifter is directly connected to the transmission.
Short Shifters improve the linkage... a bit...
> In any event, the S4's shift feel is pretty crummy.  I'd still take it
> over a slushbox tiptronic ANY day of the week though.
Here here!
> For transmission shifting feel, there isn't much that beats a Miata.
You got that right too.
01 Audi S4 Avant biturbo, laser red, UUC short shifter
95 Miata, classic red, JR header, cat, etc.