[BiturboS4] RE: gasoline

California Fields cfields72 at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 17 14:59:26 EDT 2002

[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]

Good points, Ti.  Recently, though, all of the "76" gas stations in California
offer their gas WITHOUT any MTBE.  They are the first to do so.  I think this
is because of the overwhelming evidence that MTBE has polluted groundwater
(and it has marginal benefits for tailpipe reductions).  I fill up at "76"
only and encourage all of my California friends to do so.  Unfortunately, the
highest octane is still only 91.

On that note, anyone know where I can get higher octane gas in the Bay Area
(San Francisco)?  Do I have to buy race fuel or can I purchase some sort of

Thanks, Carter.
Carter Fields, San Francisco
2001.5 S4
GIAC X chip
Miltek 3" cat-back
Stratmosphere short-shifter
Osmori 52mm A-pillar boost gauge

>From: Ti Kan
>To: Dave_Edwards at iOra.com (Edwards, Dave)
>CC: biturbos4 at audifans.com
>Subject: Re: [BiturboS4] RE: Warranty on battery (well it was originally)
>Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 03:53:50 -0700 (PDT)
>I guess I agree with most things you say, we do get a nice deal here.
>I have to point out, though, that even though our fuel is cheaper than
>yours it is also inferior (lower octane and higher sulfer content).
>This is particularly bad in California where the maximum octane now
>at most stations is 91. This is the main reason Audi de-tuned the
>US spec S4 to maintain a good safety margin. Getting back the Euro
>level of power/torque or beyond is no problem, but then it becomes
>necessary to buy high octane, catalyst-friendly race fuel. That is
>neither cheap nor convenient.
>As to the US polluting the planet, I'd offer no argument there. At least
>our Audis are relatively clean running compared to most behemoth SUVs.
>Funny you should mention this subject, because the reason for California
>fuel to have lower octane than other states is because of the additives
>claimed to reduce emissions. Well, recently they found that one such
>additive, MTBE, is actually polluting our ground water...
>2003 A4 1.8T multitronic
>2001 S4 biturbo 6-sp
>1984 5000S turbo
>1980 4000 2.0 5-sp
> /// Ti Kan Vorsprung durch Technik
> /// AMB Laboratories, Sunnyvale, CA. USA
> /// ti at amb.org
> ////// http://www.amb.org/ti/
>Edwards, Dave writes:
> > Well I noticed your smiley, but nevertheless I have to bite back ;-)
> >
> > Even if you compare your deal to mainland Europe, your benefits outweigh
> > difference in spec. You pay about 10% less for the car but get 4 year
> > warranty including service costs. Europeans get an inferior 2 year
> > and pay for their own service. They also pay around $4.50 per gallon for
> > Octane (equivalent) gas.
> >
> > Of course in the UK we do so much better as we get a 3 year warranty,
> > although still not as good as a US warranty and we pay for services too.
> > course for this luxury we pay around 25% more than the other Europeans
> > about 40% more than Americans) for the car, and our gas is over $5 per
> > gallon.
> >
> > Of course everything you can get on a Euro car can be added to the US car,
> > particularly the performance. I've read enough about US owners who have
> > ECUs (i.e. a stock one for when the car is at the dealer).
> >
> > No, you have to accept that you're getting a good deal: Now that AoA is
> > importing the RS6, I'm sure you'll get the next RS4 too, all at cheaper
> > prices than Europe.
> >
> > Of course regarding the price of gas, we'd all like to pay US prices, but
> > we'd prefer not to have the US's reputation on pollution of the planet :-(
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Dave
>BiturboS4 mailing list
>BiturboS4 at audifans.com

Internet access plans that fit your lifestyle -- join MSN. Click Here[1]

  1. http://g.msn.com/8HMAEN/2018

More information about the Biturbos4 mailing list