[BiturboS4] RE: gasoline

John M. Harrison JohnMH at uwyo.edu
Thu Oct 17 16:57:44 EDT 2002

Have you guys tried adding toluene to up your octane?  I did this once
based on postings on this list,  but can't say I really noticed a
difference.  One would need to find a much cheaper source for larger
quantities than the local hardware store for this to be practical.  Plus
storing quantities (35 or 55 gal drums?) probably is not legal in most
residential zones.  Of course this would not deter most of us Wyoming
red-necks in the least.  If you burn down your house this way your home
owner's insurance might not cover you.

I've been curious about wholesale sources for toluene in some reasonable
quantity for fuel use.  Anyone found a reasonable source?  If so, how do
you handle and dispense the stuff?  John H.

-----Original Message-----
From: California Fields [mailto:cfields72 at hotmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2002 2:59 PM
To: biturbos4 at audifans.com
Subject: Re: [BiturboS4] RE: gasoline

[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]

Good points, Ti.  Recently, though, all of the "76" gas stations in
offer their gas WITHOUT any MTBE.  They are the first to do so.  I think
is because of the overwhelming evidence that MTBE has polluted
(and it has marginal benefits for tailpipe reductions).  I fill up at
only and encourage all of my California friends to do so.
Unfortunately, the
highest octane is still only 91.

On that note, anyone know where I can get higher octane gas in the Bay
(San Francisco)?  Do I have to buy race fuel or can I purchase some sort

Thanks, Carter.
Carter Fields, San Francisco
2001.5 S4
GIAC X chip
Miltek 3" cat-back
Stratmosphere short-shifter
Osmori 52mm A-pillar boost gauge

>From: Ti Kan
>To: Dave_Edwards at iOra.com (Edwards, Dave)
>CC: biturbos4 at audifans.com
>Subject: Re: [BiturboS4] RE: Warranty on battery (well it was
>Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 03:53:50 -0700 (PDT)
>I guess I agree with most things you say, we do get a nice deal here.
>I have to point out, though, that even though our fuel is cheaper than
>yours it is also inferior (lower octane and higher sulfer content).
>This is particularly bad in California where the maximum octane now
>at most stations is 91. This is the main reason Audi de-tuned the
>US spec S4 to maintain a good safety margin. Getting back the Euro
>level of power/torque or beyond is no problem, but then it becomes
>necessary to buy high octane, catalyst-friendly race fuel. That is
>neither cheap nor convenient.
>As to the US polluting the planet, I'd offer no argument there. At
>our Audis are relatively clean running compared to most behemoth SUVs.
>Funny you should mention this subject, because the reason for
>fuel to have lower octane than other states is because of the additives
>claimed to reduce emissions. Well, recently they found that one such
>additive, MTBE, is actually polluting our ground water...
>2003 A4 1.8T multitronic
>2001 S4 biturbo 6-sp
>1984 5000S turbo
>1980 4000 2.0 5-sp
> /// Ti Kan Vorsprung durch Technik
> /// AMB Laboratories, Sunnyvale, CA. USA
> /// ti at amb.org
> ////// http://www.amb.org/ti/
>Edwards, Dave writes:
> > Well I noticed your smiley, but nevertheless I have to bite back ;-)
> >
> > Even if you compare your deal to mainland Europe, your benefits
> > difference in spec. You pay about 10% less for the car but get 4
> > warranty including service costs. Europeans get an inferior 2 year
> > and pay for their own service. They also pay around $4.50 per gallon
> > Octane (equivalent) gas.
> >
> > Of course in the UK we do so much better as we get a 3 year
> > although still not as good as a US warranty and we pay for services
> > course for this luxury we pay around 25% more than the other
> > about 40% more than Americans) for the car, and our gas is over $5
> > gallon.
> >
> > Of course everything you can get on a Euro car can be added to the
US car,
> > particularly the performance. I've read enough about US owners who
> > ECUs (i.e. a stock one for when the car is at the dealer).
> >
> > No, you have to accept that you're getting a good deal: Now that AoA
> > importing the RS6, I'm sure you'll get the next RS4 too, all at
> > prices than Europe.
> >
> > Of course regarding the price of gas, we'd all like to pay US
prices, but
> > we'd prefer not to have the US's reputation on pollution of the
planet :-(
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Dave
>BiturboS4 mailing list
>BiturboS4 at audifans.com

Internet access plans that fit your lifestyle -- join MSN. Click Here[1]

  1. http://g.msn.com/8HMAEN/2018

BiturboS4 mailing list
BiturboS4 at audifans.com

More information about the Biturbos4 mailing list