[BiturboS4] V8 Tuning Potential

Matt twentyV matt_20v at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 31 14:16:08 EST 2003

So we've had this debate now about whether the V8 S4
could be tuned to 400hp.  So I went to look at
tuning options for BMW- which like the upcoming S4,
uses highly tuned NA engines out the door.

In a nutshell, forget it unless you add a

For the E36 M3, you can find exhaust and chip
combinations that have dyno data showing 10-15hp
increases.  There are also a few supercharger kits
out there that advertise 80hp or so at 8psi.. $6k.

For the E46, some tuners claim 7-8hp increase but
don't show dyno graphs.  I found one supercharger
kit for the E46 330i
 For the E46 M3, there is
some message board activity indicating AC Schnitzer
is developing a system that will reach 400hp... for
$13k!!  I'm guessing that involves an entire rebuild
to use new pistons to reduce the 11.5:1 CR.  As
someone already mentioned, adding boost to an engine
at that high a CR is problematic.

Matt Rooke
'91cq- 20vt chipped
'00S4- 30vtt stock