[BiturboS4] Chipped: How to prepare. How many miles...

Ti Kan ti at amb.org
Mon Jun 9 12:49:00 EDT 2003

John Chase writes:
> >From the research I've done before you chip you should replace the
> bi-pipe, the diverter valves and expect to replace your clutch. I do
> know that the bi-turbo motors are a little touchy (hence Audi went with
> a v8 in the new s4's), but how many miles are these motors really good
> for...chipped or stock?

Aside from blowing turbos and various other peripherals leaking or
failing, I haven't heard any complaints about the basic integrity
of the engine itself.  I would surmise that the low-end and head are
very strong in the usual Audi tradition.  Of course, given enough abuse
you can damage anything no matter how bulletproof.

2003 A4 1.8T multitronic
2001 S4 biturbo 6-sp
1984 5000S turbo
1980 4000 2.0 5-sp
   ///   AMB Laboratories, Sunnyvale, CA. USA
  ///    ti at amb.org
 //////  http://www.amb.org/ti/