[BiturboS4] Valve cover gasket question

Ti Kan ti at amb.org
Mon May 12 13:53:23 EDT 2003

California Fields writes:
> Is the valve cover gasket different from the traditional "head gasket"? I
> haven't taken apart an engine since high school and back then we spoke of the
> head gasket (separating the engine block from the head which contains the
> valves, intake/exhaust manifold, etc.).  I want to be sure I understand the
> gasket you guys are talking about failing.

No.  The valve cover gasket is the one between the head and the top (valve)
cover, whereas the head gasket is the one between the block and head.
Changing the valve cover gasket is a minor repair whereas changing the head
gasket is major work.

2003 A4 1.8T multitronic
2001 S4 biturbo 6-sp
1984 5000S turbo
1980 4000 2.0 5-sp
    ///  Ti Kan                Vorsprung durch Technik
   ///   AMB Laboratories, Sunnyvale, CA. USA
  ///    ti at amb.org
 //////  http://www.amb.org/ti/

More information about the Biturbos4 mailing list