[Biturbos4] Turbos Reliability & Replacement Cost (was: 2000 S4

j y jimnetpa at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 30 18:59:47 EDT 2005

I like your last sentence!
Like I said, I'm a MAD MODDER when it comes to my B5-S4 and Porsche 951. In stock form, these car just do not deliver the UMMMMPH!!!! of the modded versions. I'm just willing to "pay the piper" if I experience turbo (S4) or head gasket (951) failure. Needless to say, I have a few MC/VISA cards with fairly high credit limits -"just in case." They are MY equivalent of the Audi Assured warranty - since AOA won't warranty modded cars.

Ti Kan <ti at amb.org> wrote:
j y writes:
> With the E46-M3 @ 330+ HP, Infiniti G35s @ around 300 HP, Pontiac GTO
> @ 350+ HP, B6-S4 @ 340 HP, etc. A 250 HP performance sedan is kinda
> of a joke. Your basis Acura/Honda sedan produces those nbrs.

Yeah, but horsepower numbers only tell one facet of the story.
Our B5 biturbo S4 have a super flat torque curve and reaches
its torque peak at 1850rpm. The "area under the curve" is prodigeous
and is what gives the car such a nice kick. The B6 V8 S4 *is* a bit
faster, but not as much as its 90hp advantage would seem to provide.
I've driven the G35 and it doesn't feel all that fast either.

I don't know of basic Honda/Acura sedan that does 0-60 in 5.5 seconds
in stock form whatever the horsepower figure is.

It's true that we have a lot more cars on the market today with big
horsepower specs, but that doesn't make our S4s "a joke", at least
not yet.

Ti Kan
Vorsprung durch Technik

Biturbos4 mailing list