[Biturbos4] Turbos Reliability & Replacement Cost (was: 2000 S4

Robin Gibson robingibson at cowanlinn.co.uk
Wed Aug 31 12:29:06 EDT 2005


Talking about V8 muscle cars, and just out of interest, my UK spec 1999 S4
with abt chip theoretically develops 369lbft of torque from 1650rpm.  That
is exactly the same figure as the 5.0L V8 bmw M5, but it is way, way up the
rev band before the M5 engine reaches that figure....Add in the quattro and
it is no wonder you say there is nothing else like the S4.  Following the
thread on turbo replacement, "even" that cost is cheap compared with the
depreciation of buying a newer car every few years.  The depreciation on my
S4 has probably bottomed out now, so I agree that it makes sense
(financially and emotionally) just to keep it and maintain it!


----- Original Message ----- 
From: "costco" <keman at interwolf.net>
To: "Henry Nisiewicz" <hjn0316 at earthlink.net>
Cc: <biturbos4 at audifans.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 5:07 PM
Subject: Re: [Biturbos4] Turbos Reliability & Replacement Cost (was: 2000 S4

> Understated or not, the peak torque at 1850 rpm is really what gives the
> B5 it's speed IMO. That's more torque than the B6 S4 produces at that rpm
> and it's got a considerably larger amount of displacement. That's the kind
> of power that a big block musclecar V8 produces at that rpm...
> My B5 was a lot faster when I opened up the exhaust, got rid of the
> precats and the main cats. Not because it produced more horsepower or more
> torque, (it wasn't chipped) but because the turbos spooled even faster
> such that in 1st gear the power came on like a light switch, it almost
> felt like a clutch dump when the turbos spooled that fast. I truely miss
> that, my B6 S4 is nothing like it and 1st gear carries me past 40 mph...
> :(
> The B6 is a great car, but I do want a B5 again. I'd like to find one
> that's had some abuse and toss some parts at it. I'd LOVE to find my old
> nogaro Avant. What's this about trying to recapture your past? :P
> I'll say this to anyone considering getting rid of your B5 S4: DONT. Pay
> it off, garage it, whatever. Just keep it, trust me. You may get another
> car, but you WILL want to hold onto your current S4 because there is
> nothing like it and if ya like them as much as I do, you'll sorely miss it
> in short order no matter what car you replace it with.
> My co-worker has an '01 S4 Sedan 6MT that I park my B6 next to, he
> occasionally lets me drive to lunch .. that's how I've been sating my need
> thus far... :)
> - Keman
> On Wed, 31 Aug 2005, Henry Nisiewicz wrote:
> >
> > All of which assumes that the B5 S4 has just 250 hp.
> >
> > Making comparisons in performance between the B5 A4 with the 2.8 l V-6,
> > the B5 RS-4, along with comparisons of other early 2000-1 cars with
> > comparable horsepower and weight, leads me to believe that Audi
> > the horsepower at 250. It probably is closer to 300 or 300+.  I've also
> > gotten some unofficial agreement from people within Audi on that issue
> > the past several years.
> >
> > Hank
> >
> > '91 CQ
> > '01 S4
> _______________________________________________
> Biturbos4 mailing list
> Biturbos4 at www.audifans.com
> http://www.audifans.com/mailman/listinfo/biturbos4

More information about the Biturbos4 mailing list