[Biturbos4] A whine from the rear

Single Malt s_malt at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 13 09:34:25 EDT 2006

--- Chris Newbold <chris at newbold.org> wrote:
>   o is loudest between 65-70MPH
>   o is unaffected by gear: 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th and
> the pitch is identical
>   o is unaffected by steering inputs
>   o is strongly correlated to throttle inputs:
>      - it stops if you gently lift and coast
>      - it stops if you dip in and accelerate
>      - it returns in steady cruise

Have you already eliminated the wheel bearings?

I see your rationale - steering not effecting the
sound and the apparent throttle correlation ...

However, the throttle inputs will alter the weight
distribution and therefore the load on the failing
bearing - hence the correlation?

Lift and coast - weight transfers forward - load
Accelerate - the weight transfers rearward - load
Steady cruise - weight evens out - load relieved?

Personally, I'd be *hoping* it was the wheel bearing!

Denver, CO
'01 S4
'87 4kq

Do You Yahoo!?