Lug bolts, sockets and tools

cobram at cobram at
Wed Apr 11 00:24:33 EDT 2001

 "TM" <t44tq at> writes:

> me a recommendation on a brand of socket that will not round the
> corners of my lug bolts? I have Craftsman sockets now and they don't
cut it.

Are you using 12 point sockets?  I've never encountered a problem with 6
point sockets, even the Taiwan variety.  The shortest socket that will
cover the lug bolt head works best.  I've also noticed that impact
sockets seem to be machined (forged, stamped, whatever) to tighter specs
than non-impact sockets,  there is also almost no chance of impact
sockets bulging or splitting under duress.

Cobram at Juno.Com