Road Trip from Florida

Kneale Brownson knotnook at
Sat Dec 1 22:38:54 EST 2001

At 12:48 AM 12/01/2001 -0500, Doyt W. Echelberger wrote:

>Hello Taka......We were almost killed about 3 times along that speedway, by
>stuff falling off of (and out of) open-bed pickups. Most traffic was doing
>80-85, and lots of it was independent contractors in pickups, moving
>between jobs in adjacent cities.
>Had to whip off the pavement and onto the berm at 80 mph, to avoid a flying
>power mower that came unchained from a flatbed trailer behind a pickup. The
>guy probably never noticed that it was gone. And those things roll and
>bounce and wiggle along in random jumps, at the same speed as the car,
>until they fly apart or get hit. Scary.
>Don't follow pickups, and watch out for flying lawn mowers!

Just survived a N. MI-to-FL roundtrip and experienced the same sort of
circumstance while "cruising" at 75 with the traffic through Atlanta.  Red,
fortunately plastic, fuel can comes flying into the five- or six-lane
traffic from some fool's pickup bed.  It made it across three lanes and
then came back to bounce off  our passenger door.  Nice scratch and dents.