Cats and Audi's frightening electrical design

Ti Kan ti at
Fri Dec 7 20:41:45 EST 2001

Traurig, Scott R writes:
> Also, anyone know how the nav. System audio inputs to the radio
> work? All I know are the connector pin numbers, but not what they do. I was
> thinking of running the scanner audio into them.

The nav system sends a signal to the radio to mute when the nav voice command
comes on.  However it doesn't actually send the voice through the radio.
On Bose systems there is a separate speaker on the driver's door for the
nav/phone output.  On non-Bose, the stereo speaker on the driver's
door is a dual voice coil unit, one fed by the radio and the other by
the nav/phone system.

01 S4 2.7 biturbo quattro
84 5000S 2.1 turbo
80 4000 2.0
   ///   AMB Laboratories, Sunnyvale, CA. USA
  ///    ti at