Comments on NASCAR press conference

John Larson jdlarson at
Thu Feb 22 18:04:06 EST 2001

Actually, I think it was a circlip holding a bearing in place. You're right, Indy at the time was particularly resistent to change. Even superstition precluded green cars from running until Lotus appeared on the scene. Somehow they were able to enter a rear engined car (actually a mid engined car) and the rest is history. John
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: JanDebL at
  To: l.leung at ; jdlarson at
  Cc: quattro at
  Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2001 5:36 PM
  Subject: Re: Comments on NASCAR press conference

  If I remember correctly it was 1967 and it was a wheel bearing that failed.
  The reason they gave for banning the car at that time, was the turbine engine
  not the AWD.  But the powers in control placed a broad stroke ban on anything
  that was better than what the good old boys were winning with before the new
  technology arrived.
  American auto racing history repeats itself.
  Jan Lahtonen