window issues...low voltage?

Tex Terry, II texactii at
Fri Jun 8 14:18:32 EDT 2001

Robert  -  Have you or your mechanic verified that the GROUND from the
alternator is a GOOD one?  Sounds like you might have too high a resistance
on the ground side, which is robbing you of some power.  If you have to,
run a ground lead between the engine and the car body shell, and between
the alternator and the engine.  This has caused problems, in my past
experiences, similiar to your problem after changing the alternator.  As
Grant said below, try the windows using just the battery (engine not
running, but key turned to the "ON" or "RUN" position.  If your battery
lets the windows work, then I would definetly look at the ground side of
the circuits.  Tex.  83 5KT sedan (non-quattro).