consequences of using cracked exhaust manifold?

Phil Payne phil at
Sun Jun 24 12:09:15 EDT 2001

> My local pick-n-pull has 3 manifolds.  They are not cracked
> (visibly) in any of the runners, but are cracked internally where the
> runners merge into the turbo inlet.  I'm not sure which is worse.... I'd
> hate to think of a piece of metal flaking off inside and going through the
> turbo.

I've never taken a one-piece manifold off and not found that crack.

To check whether internal cracks go through, hold the manifold with the flange uppermost and spray WD40 into it.  It will weep through any cracks.

FSmail - Get your free web-based email from Freeserve: