steering wheel "pulses" at low speeds

Bill Rowe rowe at
Thu Nov 8 13:48:18 EST 2001

There's been mention of non-oem hi pressure hoses causing the groaning
you're experiencing

-----Original Message-----
From: quattro-admin at [mailto:quattro-admin at] On
Behalf Of Peter Schulz
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2001 1:18 PM
To: 200q20v
Cc: quattro at
Subject: steering wheel "pulses" at low speeds

Got a Q for the brain trust...

1991 200 20v TQW wagon #1 sometimes has little power steering assist at
speeds (I can sometimes hear groaning) and requires lots of strength.

At low speeds, I can feel "pulsing" in the steering while driving...NOT

It almost feels as if the pump belt is slipping, but revving the engine
does not increase the assist, and a check of the belt shows that it is

The reservoir has plenty of Pentosin 11, the High Pressure hose from the
pump to the rack was replaced by the previous owner, accumulator was
replaced a year ago, and the pump shows no signs of leaking.

Peter Schulz
1990 CQ
1991 200 20v TQW indigo mica
1991 200 20v TQW titanium grey