anything out there can dissolve rust?

Doyt W. Echelberger Doyt at
Mon Nov 12 09:53:17 EST 2001

Hello Rob...........I'd rather use a Dremel to grind off that surface rust,
which is iron oxide. It is more precise than runny chemicals.  At least try
to chip or grind off the flaky rust first, before using any chemicals.
Maybe use a scraper, a chisel, or a wire brush.

If you want to risk using chemicals, hydrochloric acid will react with rust
to convert it to iron chloride and water, both of which are soluble in
water. The iron chloride is yellow, in case you want to know what to look for.

I would not spray the chemical onto the rust. I'd dab it on with a small
brush, for more control of the acid.

Try to work on a horizontal/flat surface, so the acid doesn't run off the
work area due to gravity.  If the rust is on a vertical surface such as a
door, turn the car on it's side temporarily  :~)   or apply the acid with a
pad that holds the fluid against the surface.

Cheap commercial HCl is available at places that supply the building
trades, for use in cleaning up concrete. It is called Muriatic Acid.

Hydrochloric acid can be pretty dangerous stuff if it is concentrated, and
I'd try some solutions that have been diluted with water first, accompanied
by the abrasive action of steel wool or a wire brush. I'd wear rubber
gloves and eye protection, and I would be ready to further dilute the
applied solution by flooding the area with a water hose. Same goes for any
spills.....flood with lots of water. And don't get it on your skin or your
clothing, or breath the fumes.  Work in a well-ventilated space or outside.

Doyt Echelberger

At 07:28 AM 11/12/2001 -0600, you wrote:
>I'm not talking like WD40 where it can penetrate, but I have some surface
>rust on this old URQ in various places, and I was wondering if there is any
>liquid type stuff I can spray on it and it would just disolve the rust.
>Probably not, but I figured I'd ask...
>Rob Andrews
>99 A4 2.8QS   83 Ur-Q

More information about the quattro mailing list