cracked downpipe

Beatty, Robert BeattyR at
Mon Sep 24 10:25:49 EDT 2001

Pull the downpipe and do 1 of 2 things.  Have a new one made thats a 3"
diameter so you can upgrade to that size exhaust if you ever want to.  Or
take it to a welding shop and have them weld the crack for you.  My last
5ktq had that problem, short trip to the welders and he fixed for like 30$.

-----Original Message-----
From: jason snider [mailto:jason_chad at]
Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2001 7:01 PM
To: quattro at
Subject: cracked downpipe

Today I bought a K&N filter checked for vaccuum leaks. I got the michelin
man hose, turbo hoses, and airbox lid off. I was looking around and noticed
that my downpipe had a crack going all the way around it at its beginning.
What are my options now? I have a full 2.5" exhaust, so it's worth saving if

at all possible. Money is a big deal here.