informal POLL (Was:No more oil consumption

rob hod
Wed, 16 May 2001 23:43:04 +0100

        I'm with erik on this, I have an 87 coupe with a KV engine and an
avant with the RT engine. The coupe has been dealer serviced right up until
I got it and is currently running on ordinary mutley-grade, just every now
and again I rev the nuts off it and it doesn't mind 'cos at 100K it is well
and truly run in. On the RT I have very little history but at 145K miles it
still runs very sweetly and is currently on synta semi-synth oil. Neither of
them use oil at a rate that can be measured and I'm happy about that.

    Not counting turbo engines which I have no experience of and discounting
obvious oil leaks an I5 engine shouldn't use any appreciable amount of oil
unless thrashed mercilessly, or suffering worn or broken rings , or valve
stem leakage.

    Thats not to say all engines are like that, for example the XK engine in
my old jaguar will by design use a pint or so every thousand miles, it's
designed with greater tolerances all round and as a result you get the
characteristic puff of smoke between gears when accelerating hard and a bit
sometimes on the overrun too.