does anyone know dimensions of exhaust seal?

Roa, Greg Greg.Roa at Cinergy.COM
Tue Apr 9 01:11:35 EDT 2002

Well, I can't tell you for sure, as you didn't mention what model you
had, but when I broke one while fixing the exhaust on my 4kq, I went to
the flaps to find one.  The only thing that they carried that was close
was the doughnut from a ford V8's exhaust.  I used a 2.5" piece.
Problem is, the one on the audi is metal, and the ones that they had for
the ford were a little softer material, kind of like a pressed graphite.
It's slightly thicker, but works in a pinch.

I ended up ordering a couple from Rod at TPC.  I think they were $2-3
each.  Showed up in a couple of days.  Probably your best bet.

Good Luck!

Greg Roa

Cincinnati, OH

>From: "Livolsi, Stephane" <Stephane.Livolsi at>
>To: Audi Quattro List <quattro at>
>Subject: does anyone know dimensions of exhaust seal?
>Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 16:52:39 -0500
>I am looking to replace the doughnut shaped sealing washer between the
>exhaust section and the middle section (right around the transmission
>Family Album says the part # is 853-253-137 (thanks again, George)
>No local Audi dealer and I was hoping to get a generic replacement at a
>flaps.  Does anyone know what size I should ask for?

[ winmail.dat of type application/ms-tnef deleted ]