Quick? Question

Ti Kan ti at amb.org
Thu Aug 8 13:32:35 EDT 2002

David Manz  writes:
> I am sorry it this appears to be an asinine question. I am confused by the =
> interchange of type XX and series model YYYY. And I know all REAL audi enth=
> usiasts know the types by heart. So  help me out ;-)
> Type 44 =3Daka=3D  5000 (year range?)
> Type 84 =3Daka=3D   dont know

Try looking here:

Under Other items of interest:, Click on:
    "Audi models, platforms, engines, parts numbering reference, and
     quattro system generations"

> Last guess hunch? did we have types becuase of the different naming schemes=
>  in Europe and USA? 200 5000 et al.
> Also did we phase out the Type xx in the newer models? A4's A8's.
>  Thanks for the clarification!

No, the type codes are basic platform specifications not normally intended
for marketing consumption.  It is used on all part numbers, etc.

2003 A4 1.8T multitronic (soon)
2001 S4 2.7T
1984 5000S turbo
1980 4000 2.0
   ///   AMB Laboratories, Sunnyvale, CA. USA
  ///    ti at amb.org
 //////  http://www.amb.org/ti/