arrghhh.... Exhaust woes.

Huw Powell human747 at
Thu Aug 8 22:59:46 EDT 2002

> I just received my new to me exhaust manifold and downpipe in the mail
> today.  The seller was so nice to also send the cat and the o2 sensor along.
> I was so excited to get it, I even left work a little early to be home when
> the ups driver was there.
> I unwrapped it and was suprised to see what might be a crack or 2 in the
> manifold.  Is there a way that I can check this myself?  if so how, I
> remember faintly seeing something about wd40 and something????  But I am not
> sure.  Can someone please help me with this.

> 85 Coupe GT (with a slight weeze)

Judging by your car, I presume this is a 4kq manifold.  They all look
"cracked."  It's probably no big deal at all, I don't think the cracks
go all the way through.

The "WD-40 thing" is to spray it inside with the outside reasonably
clean and dry.  if the crack goes through, the WD-40 should wick through
it and show up on the outside.  At least, that's what I read "here" a
year or two ago...

Huw Powell