Arrrrrrrrgh! Intermittent dead 90q ignition (long)

brian tanner basicrhetoric at
Fri Aug 9 18:24:35 EDT 2002

your fuel pump relay is purely a magnetic switch, with a fuse in between it
and the fuel pump,  if your fuel pump had a short in it and was drawing
excess current it would blow the fuse instead of possibly damaging  the
relay, usually a relay  is alot cheaper than a fuel pump and is easier to
check comparitively.

Brian Tanner

>From: Kneale Brownson <knotnook at>
>To: JShadzi at, n-engelbert at,quattro at
>Subject: Re: Arrrrrrrrgh!  Intermittent dead 90q ignition (long)
>Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2002 12:10:40 -0400
>At 11:16 AM 08/09/2002 -0400, JShadzi at wrote:
> >--
> >[ Picked text/plain from multipart/alternative ]
> >I've had the same exact symptoms in the past with differen Audi's I've
> >owned/worked on, usually a fuel pump relay with a temp releated
> >problem.  Try jumpering the fuel pump to power next time it happens, if
> >fires right up, you found the problem.
>You're saying the under-hood temperatures can cause a marginal fuel pump
>relay to malfunction?  How about a dying fuel pump also causing strain on
>the relay until it fries?

Join the world=92s largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail.