quattro digest, Vol 1 #3802 - 15 msgs

Huw Powell human747 at attbi.com
Fri Aug 9 22:19:11 EDT 2002

james accordino wrote:
> >From that I read that water can absorb and also give
> up heat much more readily/quickly than oil.  Yes?

Not as written here... that another descriptive spec of a material,
probably thermal interface conductance, or some such jargonistic phrase
(it probably would only be applied to *pairs* of materials, too, like
aluminum to water/coolant mix or brass to same).

The specific heat is related to how much energy is required to alter the
temperature of a material (right, Larry?).

In other words, the same amount of energy transferred into different
materials (water vs. oil, eg) will result in a different change of

Water has a very high "capacity" for heat energy, in that a lot can be
dumped into it, moved and then extracted, say, without massive changes
in temperature.  In fact, water is almost magical, so interesting a
compound, in fact, that it is probably absolutely necessary for life as
we know it... Jim.

Huw Powell