HELP! type 44 5k/100/200 wierdness

rob hod rob3 at
Wed Aug 14 00:29:08 EDT 2002

    Chris ,

    I'd bet that it is nothing to do with your alternator. This is because
as you say the car was electrically fine one minute and severly challenged
the next. If the problem occurs between switching off and switching on, with
only a few minutes between then the alternator has done nothing in that time
and can't be the problem, (unless it were somehow shorting through the

    The two general possibilities seem to me that either the battery is
getting severely drained in a few minutes downtime, or that intermittently
you have a problem that is causing a severe voltage drop to many parts of
the system, e.g. as others have suggested I would suspect the splice, or
other bottlenecks such as relays, ignition switch etc or a short somewhere.
Its not at all unusual to find the main lead to the B+ on the alternator and
starter motor worn right through the insulation and ready to short out on
the routing hoops! Also you might want to check all your earthing points.

    Time to get busy with a multimeter, or one of those hook on ammeters
which may isolate a circuit thats over drawing.