Motorsport work

Rave Racer raveracer77 at
Thu Dec 5 20:48:34 EST 2002

    I guess Messenger is acting up again.  The new system is not working we=
ll on my machine.

    Well, I'll update you on my situation first, that may explain my questi=
on better.  I've been laid off from my last three jobs in Manufacturing bec=
ause of slow downs in the economy.  Metal Fab just isn't doing well, no mat=
ter what anyone says.  My situation has deteriorated to the point that I co=
uld no longer maintain my 4000 Quattro and ended up giving it away to a fel=
low Quattro lister who I know has the skill, knowledge, talent and most imp=
ortantly the resources to put it back on the road.  I have been spending ti=
me with a career counselor and it's obvious that I'm nuts about cars and ra=
cing and it's likely that it's one of the only things I'll be happy at.  He=
's trying to help me find my direction and I thought that maybe someone I k=
now would know more about whether or not there's a life for me in racing, o=
r cars, or otherwise.  I'm not looking for what's going to get me rich or f=
or someone to hand me a job, I'm just asking for help finding direction wit=
h a future I can finally settle into.  I need something I can live with and=
 will pay the bills.
    This message is being copied off to a couple of people I know who may h=
ave insight into Motorsports in general, both on and off the Audi Quattro l=
ist in Rally and GT.

    My question to you is this:  Is there a living in working motorsports?
        For the general group, is there anything that a man can do to make =
a living in motorsports?
        For Mike Veglia, would it be possible to live off of photographing =
races for a living.  Mosport being my home track, and Mid Ohio and Three Ri=
vers within a days drive, the ALMS is not out of reach.  Do you have any in=
formation on working like that?
        For Roger King, does the Rally Club provide for anyone who has dedi=
cated themselves to it, or does everyone volunteer or pay out of pocket for=
 their participation?
        For Dave Hord, and Frank De Kat, I know driving doesn't pay the bil=
ls, and Vibrant isn't looking for someone with my skills, but you are in th=
e middle of the Rally scene.  Maybe you know something that could apply to =
my situation.

    I appreciate any help in finding my way in this cold (and getting colde=
r) cruel world.    ; )

       Rave Racer
'89 Jetta 1.8L 16V GTX  gone but not forgotten
'87 Audi 4000 Quattro Sedan    another victim of time
'72 Triumph GT6
'83 Toyota Tercel (yoda) no more