Snow driving/tires

tihol_tiholov at tihol_tiholov at
Mon Dec 9 10:40:41 EST 2002

LL - NY and me:
>> >The big issue is that the Alpins just don't cut it in deep fresh
>> snow
>> Maybe because they're ice tires

>Sad, they marketed them to my Dad as snow tires, snowflake
>symbol (sidewall) and all.

I think those symbols are put on all dedicated winter tires (ir)regardless
if they're snow or ice.  In most of Europe ice tires seem to be more
popular, I guess because most of the roads get cleaned quickly, so not much
driving on fresh snow happens.  Temporary closures of roads (incl.
autobahn) by police if they're very icy is common in Germany.