idles fine, full acceleration seems great, but in between lots of ignition cutting out - '88 90 4 cyl

Ti Kan ti at
Mon Dec 9 17:43:08 EST 2002

Len & Bonnie Lubbers writes:
> [ single-wire O2 sensor ]
> I have priced the sensor and done some research on the archives. It appears
> there is some debate whether a sensor is a sensor is a sensor.  My sensor is
> the one wire type.  I have been unable to get a local source with a good
> price.  VW wants 235.00; other prices range from 200.00 to 250.00 (for an
> Eckland).

Look in your phone book under Automotive Parts, and see if you could find
a Bosch parts dealer.  You should be able to get one for a much better price
than the Audi dealer.  All VW/Audi single-wire sensors are the same.

> QUESTION 2: Can I rig a 3 wire sensor from my 1990 parts Jetta to work?  I
> understand these have a heater.  Is the heater necessary?  Does the heater
> stay on?  If so, I would have no trouble wiring in a relay.

Yes, you can use a 3-wire sensor.  Just connect the heating element
to the same circuit as your fuel pump (so that it's on when the
fuel pump is running).  No relays needed.

2003 A4 1.8T multitronic
2001 S4 biturbo 6-sp
1984 5000S turbo
1980 4000 2.0 5-sp
   ///   AMB Laboratories, Sunnyvale, CA. USA
  ///    ti at