Make the dinging start again

Ti Kan ti at
Fri Dec 13 12:52:13 EST 2002

Ti Kan writes:
> Cade Carvell writes:
> >   I have replaced my radio in my car, and it no longer dings when it is
> > left on, and the car is off.  It still dings when the Headlights are
> > still on.  How do I make it ding again when the Radio is on.
> There is a white wire in the 4Kq radio wiring that goes to the
> warning chime relay pin 9.
> If your radio is the type where the power antenna lead is always up
> when it's on (as opposed to those that only raises the antenna when
> in FM/AM mode), then you can tie the power antenna trigger lead on the
> radio to that white wire, and it will accomplish what you want.  In fact
> the original Audi Rothenburg radio is wired this way.  If your radio
> only raises the antenna when in FM/AM mode, then it won't trigger the
> chime when you're playing CD or tape.

I neglect to mention that if your radio has a remote power amplifier
turn-on lead, you can use that instead of the power antenna trigger.

The note about using diodes still applies if you want to sound the chime
relay from multiple sources.

2003 A4 1.8T multitronic
2001 S4 biturbo 6-sp
1984 5000S turbo
1980 4000 2.0 5-sp
   ///   AMB Laboratories, Sunnyvale, CA. USA
  ///    ti at