type 44 charging issues - the plot thickens

Huw Powell human747 at attbi.com
Sun Dec 22 22:39:52 EST 2002

> Review: '90 200 not charging, alt lite not working
> when key first turned on.
> I pulled the alt lite bulb and tested, it tests good
> and lites when power is applied.  No visible corrosion
> anywhere I can see.
> Reinstalled bulb, re-connected instrument cluster.
> Still no alt lite when I turn the key on.  *Pushed on
> bulb from behind* (wiggle test basically) and it lit!
> Ok, started car.  Still not charging.  Turned off,
> turned key back to ON, no alt lite again.  No amount
> of pushing/playing with or around bulb will make it
> light.

It sounds to me like you might have an instrument cluster circuit trace
issue, I think the 200's tend toward this problem.

> Exciter wire connection by "jumper" post in engine
> compartment looks good.  Disconnected, I do have a
> ground from the alt to the connector, which I
> understand is correct from reading the archives.  This
> ground should become a positive once the car is
> charging?

with the engine running, there should be just over 12v at that
connection, yes.  Just try not to get your meter leads caught up in the
moving belts, etc.

> Not sure how to test for continuity from the connector
> to the instrument cluster.

Follow the circuit in the Bentley, if it should be continuous from one
point to another, hook up your meter to those two points.

Huw Powell