[A4] Timing belt alignment question

Douglas Frank frank at zk3.dec.com
Wed Jul 24 15:10:01 EDT 2002

Rocket Science Racing wrote:

> Hi all,
> I've put the new timing belt back on, and I'm having a little trouble with
> the alignment of it, it's a half a crank tooth off!
> I suppose I should have counted the teeth on the old belt in between marks
> on each sprocket, but I foolishly trusted the shop manual to guide me.

Yup, there are two belts for these cars, and I don't know where the VIN
break is.  The difference is, one belt has one more tooth than the
other.  You got the wrong one.

Douglas Frank    DigitalWhoopsCompaqImeanHP Co.
ZKO              110 Spit Brook Rd.       The older I get,
603-884-0501     Nashua, NH USA 03062       the better I was.