5ktq and boost ...........

Ben Swann bswann at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jun 13 11:36:35 EDT 2002

On Thursday, June 13, 2002 12:30 AM, Stpndsmnn at aol.com
[SMTP:Stpndsmnn at aol.com] wrote:
> Hey Ben,
> I had a couple of random thoughts about your situation...    this may
> like blasphemy but I am not sure how good the factory plastic bypass
> is.  I know that other factory valves have a tendency to leak above
> pressure levels.  maybe there is enough pressure in the IC to open up the
> bypass slightly...
I can't see where the bypass could be leaking to the outside - I'd see some
crack or something, right?

Let's assume the bypass might be leaking (internally) - why/how would that
effect the observed boost pressure?

> Also, since it wasn't entirely clear in your post, I just wanted to make
> that the bypass is sending it's air to the intake (compressor) of the
> and not into the actual turbine...     I am guessing by turbine you just
> meant turbo.....

Right - I have a fitting installed in the turbo intake, and directed toward
the impeller.  I did this so the bypass flow would enter already going in
the right direction.

> Just out of curiousity, how much retard did you put on the cam?  I have
> adjustable cam gear on my CGT turbo but I have yet to play with it....

I played with 2 deg. advance and currently have it set for 3 deg. retard.
 The idle was not noticably affected with the radical cam, and I have left
it that way with the stock cam.