Type 44 steering rack question

james accordino ssgacc at yahoo.com
Wed May 1 16:31:44 EDT 2002

The racks are basically all the same.  However the
sealing bosses are machined to a larger dia. on the
89? and later racks to accomodate the o-ring type hose
ends.  It is a common swap to use a later rack on an
earlier (crush washer seal) car.  The earlier rack CAN
be used, but I would be wary of sealing issues.

Jim Accordino

--- Tom Nas <tnas at euronet.nl> wrote:
> Hi all,
> On behalf of a q-list impaired friend: 1989 Audi 100
> Avant 2.3E, steering
> rack is dead. Are there any radical differences
> between type 44 racks, or
> would this interchange with the rack of an '88 100
> turbo quattro?
> TIA for your responses!
> Regards, Tom

Do You Yahoo!?