New (old addition to the family - revisited (NEED OPINIONS) Long

Cade Carvell ccarvell at
Mon Sep 16 17:06:41 EDT 2002

Welcome to the world of Auctions.  Never tell the seller anything about
what you are doing.  I can see the other guys point of view, but he sold
it to you, you made payment, its yours.  Hopefully everythign will work
out, and you won't have to get the law involved.  Keep us up to date on
this one, its interesting.

Cade Carvell
National Business Systems, Inc.
Eagan, MN 55121
Office: 651-994-4400

>>> "J. Lyons" <raudi1 at> 09/16/02 03:28PM >>>
Hello all,

Sorry about the length,

Well this has been an exciting week, to say the least. I had posted
about my
recent purchase of an 81 5000s off of E-bay about a week ago. Suffice
it to
say alot has happened since then. I was hoping the collective opinions
the list could help me see this through.

I made my payment to the buyer via Paypal, with every intention of
up the car the following Monday 9/16.  I was contacted by an
(non-list member) who is a German car collector out of Tennessee. He
made me
an offer to buy the car prior to my picking it up. I declined his
offer. He
then e-mailed me again, upping his bid. Again I declined (I really
this car). He then sent me an e-mail offering nearly double what I

It was at that point I decided to accept his offer. I emailed the
asking if he would mind releasing the car to the person from
Suffice it to say he went ballistic on me, accusing me of taking
of him and his father (who owns the car) even though he has no idea
amounts of $ involved. His big issue, apparently is that I had not
possesion yet and so it is not mine to sell. I, on the other hand have
receipt from him & Paypal telling me to come get the car. So near as I
tell, the cars is mine.

In an attempt to defuse the situation, I spoke again to my buyer about
circumstances involved, and we both agreed that maybe I should just get
car for myself and be done with this. I then made arrangements with
actual owner (the father) to do just that.

Now today, I get an e-mail from the seller (the son), attemting to
refund my
money via Paypal so he can sell it for a higher amount, to the same guy
contacted me.

I am just not sure what to do?! I went into this with every intention
owning this clean nice car and now everything has gone straight to

Was I wrong in what I did? Or is this guy out of his mind, and now
sorry he couldn't sell it for more?

Any help / opinions would be appreciated. Especially since this is now
looking to be a legal battle with these people.

J. Lyons

84 CGT turbo
86 4KCSQ
79 5KS