AC recharge R12 to R134?

David.Ullrich@ferguson.com David.Ullrich@ferguson.com
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 11:14:47 -0400

2002 VW Jetta GLS 1.8T Tiptronic
1993 RX-7 R1

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Sinclair [mailto:dsinclair@icare.snalf.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2002 10:56 AM
To: 'quattro@audifans.com'
Subject: AC recharge R12 to R134?

--
Here we go...  A reputable Audi mechanic has informed me that with the
addition of a specific oil/lubrication additive and a new fitting, he can
put R-134 freeon into our older Audi R-12 systems and claims that he has
been doing so on his customer cars for 7 years or so.  He further claims
that this is a reliable option and his customers have had little or no
problems with leaks as a result.  He noted that the 10-20% loss of
efficiency will occur with R-134, but otherwise, no problems.  Since I'm
holding out little or no hope that I'm going to find someone with R-12
available here locally in Portland, OR, I'm considering this R-134 swap.
Anyone care to comment?

Dan
1990 CQ