CGT no start might be dead, Please Help

Fisher, Scott
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 08:53:19 -0700

Matt Kramer writes:

> This time the motor spins over
> really fast as if all the spark plugs had been
> removed, no compression.  The timing belt is still
> intact, and the belt turns when the starter is bumped.

But does the CAMSHAFT turn?  That's the key.  I had exactly these symptoms
on my '83 CGT (no turbo), and the problem was that the timing belt had
slipped off the cam sprocket.  The spinning-really-fast is the indicator.

Have someone bump the starter while you look down the oil filler hole and
see if the cam is turning.  And I'm sure we've all got our fingers crossed
that it's something that simple...

--Scott Fisher
  Tualatin, Oregon