are 1986/87 5ktq brakes really different from other years?

auditude@cox.net auditude@cox.net
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 15:49:06 -0400

Hi Martin,

Replies below in the text.

"Martin Pajak" <Martin@quattro.ca> wrote:

> >So, the caliper interface of the carrier/bracket is the same, but the
> >strut/wheel bearing interface of the two types of brackets are
> >different?
>
> ??? Carrier to strut is different caliper to carrier is same on G54s.
>
> >Something here isn't right, since Taka wrote that he swapped G54
> >calipers to G60's, and didn't have to swap carrier/brackets too.
>
> I did this on my Ur-q (same as 5kq) and you do need to change caliper car=
riers to match the G60s.

Okay, I believe Taka wrote that he didn't have to do this.  Probably he did=
 then.

> >If that's true, then why would someone need to get 80/90 strut/wheel
> >bearing housings in order to bolt on G60's instead of the G54's?
> >(this is what I've always heard, consistently)
>
> Because there is no car that uses G60 with the small mounitng bolt patter=
n=2E There is no way to bolt the G60 caliper carrier onto 4kq/Coupe struts =
without custom work.

That is consistent with what I've always heard.

> >I have a set of G60 calipers.  I have G54's on my Coupe GT.  I guess
> >I'm going to just have to dig all this crap out of the storage and see >=
what fits.  If what both Martin and Taka say is correct, then I should
> >be able to bolt them onto the Coupe GT strut/wheel bearing
> >housing/carrier/brackets, without swapping struts out.
>
> Never said that.  You are not reading this correctly.

I read what you wrote correctly.  It was Taka's post, saying he changed onl=
y calipers, and not carriers too, when he bolted G60's onto a G54-equipped =
5k.

Here's the first of Taka's posts, the one that made me start to email him t=
o clarify:

http://www.audifans.com/pipermail/quattro/20020725/058618.html

But then I read his second posts, which answered the question I was about t=
o ask:

http://www.audifans.com/pipermail/quattro/20020726/058638.html

I quote here:

"When I upgraded the brakes, all I did was the following:

1=2E Remove old calipers, brake lines, rotors and pads
2=2E Install new rubber brake lines, rotors, pads in calipers and bolt
on G60 calipers onto existing caliper mounts (carriers)."

He should have wrote (one way to say it anyway):

"When I upgraded the brakes, all I did was the following:

1=2E Remove old calipers AND CARRIERS, brake lines, rotors and pads
2=2E Install new rubber brake lines, rotors, pads in calipers and bolt
on G60 calipers AND CARRIERS onto existing STRUT/WHEEL BEARING HOUSING cali=
per CARRIER mounts (NOT CARRIERS)."

That's the reason why I jumped all over this thread.

> Let's get this straight Ken.
> -5kt could have G60 or G54 with matching carriers(same strut, wide bolt p=
attern).
> -4kq/COupe can only have G54 (different caliper carrier, narrow bolt patt=
ern)
> By bolt pattern I mean the space between the threaded holes in the strut =
itself.

So then everything is the same as I always thought it was.  That's why I wa=
s so suprised to read what Taka wrote, and the first couple responses didn'=
t refute what he wrote either.

Taka reasserted it here:

http://www.audifans.com/pipermail/quattro/20020726/058663.html

"As for the original question, yes, the G60s bolt right onto the brackets o=
n an early 5ktq- this doesn't mean that would work on a 4k or other car."

His use of the "brackets" as apparently meaning the solid, non-separate, pa=
rt of the strut/wheel bearing housing that the carriers/brackets bolt onto,=
 is what I was confused about.  Perhaps "mounting tabs" and "G60s and carri=
ers/brackets" would have been more correct.

> Hope this clears it up.

It does, thanks.

Ken