4KQ Wiring diagram question...

Ti Kan ti at amb.org
Wed Apr 9 06:04:41 EDT 2003

Quattrospg at aol.com writes:
> I'm looking at the wiring diagams for an 87 4KQ in the Bentley and I'm tryi=
> ng to figure out which of the current tracks in the fuse box has power only=
>  when the car is running (when looking at the general wiring diagrams the u=
> pper portion of each diagram in gray is the fuse box)
> Is it 30, 15, X or 31?
> It seems to me that 30 has power all the time, and either 15 or X have juic=
> e only when the car is running..

30: +12V always on
15: +12V when ignition key is in "on" and "start" positions
X:  +12V when ignition key is in "on" position only
31: Ground

None of these are only on when the engine is running.  The only line
that gives you that is the "output" end of the fuel pump relay.

2003 A4 1.8T multitronic
2001 S4 biturbo 6-sp
1984 5000S turbo
1980 4000 2.0 5-sp
   ///   AMB Laboratories, Sunnyvale, CA. USA
  ///    ti at amb.org
 //////  http://www.amb.org/ti/