Emissions Test Failed - Help?

Dave Hord spokes at the-wire.com
Tue Apr 29 11:54:06 EDT 2003

Hey all,

Patient: 1987 Audi 4000 quattro
Problem: Failed Emissions Test.

Test is done at 2500rpm (in neutral) and Idle RPM

I don't have my first emissions test in front of me, but after failing the
first test I looked in the archives and everything there seemed to point
towards needing a new Catalytic Converter.  Easy enough, we make them.  I had a
new O2 sensor in my desk, so I installed that as well.

My new test this morning was a fail with pretty much the exact same numbers.
Todays test:

HCppm: Limit=300 - Reading=312
CO%:  Limit=1.5 - Reading=8.76

HCppm: Limit=300 - Reading=580
CO%:  Limit=1.5 - Reading=10.07

Anyone have some bright ideas as to what I should be trying next, and where the
problem might lie?

Please CC me as well as the list, as I am switching to not-recieivng the list
due to work being rather hectic this month.

86 4ksq 266,600km new to me as of March 5th 2003... will it stick around??
89 90q  330,000km as of Feb 26th.
Rally Conversion...perpetually in progress...
Roll cage shots available at: