80tq: Opinions wanted

Jim Green jeg1976 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 5 19:44:35 EST 2003

--- Mike Robinson <quattrofan at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> My initial thought was head gasket too.  But it
> looks like you guys already
> covered that.  Usually, when a gasket goes, it goes
> completely and won't be
> intermittent.
> Another option you might think about is in your
> turbo itself.  I'll admit I
> know very little about your hybrid T3/T4 monster's
> construction.  I have
> seen K26's glowing after street use though.  By the
> laws of physics, your
> increased pressure of 20 psi is obviously going to
> make things "very" hot.

Hmm, I doubt it with his header.  I recently did a
little test going up Vail Pass one night, loaded car
driving like mad, no water injection, and 15-18 psi
probably 75% of the time, the other 25% was slowing
down for turns and waiting for that A4 behind me to
catch up.  Lister?  When I got to the top I slowed
down real fast in a pitch dark area, and popped the
hood to see what the header and turbo looked like.
Hardly any glowing, just a dull glow at the beginning
of the downpipe.  I was amaized, I guess that headers
flowing like a MF! It was bright orange with the stock
EM in an earlier test.  I can probably lean it out a
little, but that can wait for the WB O2.

> Could it be possible that the turbo itself has a
> small enough crack between
> the water cooling and oil cooling chambers that
> there is some cross over
> under extreme heat when the metal is expanding?

Could be one area to look at, but once again, I doubt
it gets much hotter than normal.  That also would not
pressurize the coolant and make it bubble.

Jim Green
'89 90tq 034EFI, Haltech IG5

Do you Yahoo!?