CGT Springs...

Dave Hord spokes at
Fri Jul 4 11:55:21 EDT 2003

Been surfing todays archives.

I've got the B+G springs in my 4kq.  They aren't much stiffer then the stock
springs IMHO, but combined with my Koni adjustables they offer a very good
ride.  I'd say my set up is more or less what a "sport" factory suspension
should have felt like when the car was brand new.

I don't feel cracks in the pavement, dips and yumps are smoothed out, and
speedbumps are surprisingly comfortable.  The odd sudden impact, such as a
pothole, makes my teeth rattle...but it's only happened once or twice since I
did the suspension.

(FWIW I'm running full soft on the koni's up front, and halfway between hard
and soft on the rear).

The B+G Site claims that the springs will drop my 4kq by 1.4".  Consensus at
our Western-Toronto-Audifans meet last night was that I got _way_ more then
1.4" of drop.  We guestimate it's closer to 2" of drop.

Combined with the CSA wheels that came with my 4kq, it's a very aggressive
looking stance.  The wheels (we think) have a slightly incorrect offset, making
them fill out the wheel-wells quite a bit.

I'm using OEM sized tires 196/60R14's, and get a slight amount of rub at the
left rear when hitting large bumps.  I haven't had an alignment done since I
put the suspension in two weeks ago, however, so it could be a matter of
alignment or simply the subframe is off just a bit to the left.

I'd certainly recommend the B+G springs for a factory style ride.  I'd look
elsewhere if I wanted something with a stiffer spring rate.

86 4ksq 266,600km new to me as of March 5th 2003... will it stick around??
89 90q  330,000km as of Feb 26th.
Rally Conversion...perpetually in progress...
Roll cage shots available at: