evil fram

Yoder, Doug yoderw@msoe.edu
Tue, 20 May 2003 21:41:54 -0500

The website in question is Russ Knize's oil filter study site.  He had
it up for a while, then disappeared for a while.  It can now be found at

He has an email from a former FRAM employee... quite interesting!

Fred Munro wrote:

> Hi Javad;
> There was a website up a couple of years ago in which a chap had
> disassembled most available oil filters and looked at construction, length
> of filter media, number of pleats, etc. It was most illuminating, given that
> he noted there were only a few manufacturers despite the many brand names
> out there. His site informed the reader how to ID the filters from the
> different manufactures in spite of the brand name.
> Which filter was the worst? Our orange buddy - they use glued cardboard
> headers on the end of the media, no wonder they fall apart.
> Guess who threatened to sue and made him take his site down?
> As I recall, he identified AC Delco and Bosch as superior filters.
> His site may be back up - I ran across something similar a few months ago.
> If you can find it, it's well worth the read.
> Fred Munro
> '94 S4 (only dealer filters on the Audi & AC Delco on everything else)

|    Doug Yoder    |   wdy@zordok.net   |    http://www.zordok.net/    |
|  Don't tell me the sky's the limit...                                |
|                                  ...there's footprints on the moon.  |